Friday, April 29, 2016

Wednesday Weekly/Friday Fitness: Go Out and Play

It made sense to combine my Wednesday post with my Friday post for a couple of reasons. First the weekly meeting topic is fitness related. Second, I was super busy Wednesday and just didn't make the time to make an entry. And finally, if I wrote about going outdoors on Wednesday I don't know that I would have anything to write about today lol.

So, go out and play means talking about activity you can do outdoors.

For most of the US, spring has finally sprung and the weather is getting nicer. That means more opportunity to get outside and get active!

So how do I get out to play? In lots of ways. Often when the weather starts to get nice I'll see if I can get some colleagues together to take a short work during our lunch break. That is harder this year because I don't seem to have the same period off as most of the people I'm friendly with, but it's something I could and would totally do on my own.

Walking in general is so much easier this time of year. When my daughter wants to go to the park, we walk. When we have some time after dinner, we take a walk as a family. Walking is an easy way to get some activity outside.

If you're a runner, this is a great time of year too. When I was a runner (for a year) I hated being on the treadmill. I mean, there's a reason it's nicknamed the "dreadmill". I much preferred running outside.

When summer comes there's yard work to do and outdoor chores in general. For example, this week we spent some time working on our boat. We'll need to clean up the yard and scrub up the patio furniture to get it ready for the season.

There's a lot of other great ideas on the WW website: https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/m/cms/article/go-out-play

All of these things add up in the grand scheme when it comes to burning calories and managing your weight.

I still get my main workouts done with my DVD's, but I use the nice weather as an excuse to get even more activity in my day. And since weight management is all about calories in vs. calories out, we need to use every excuse we have to get more activity in. More activity means better health, and easier weight maintenance.

So go out, enjoy the weather and have a great weekend! I'll see you Monday for my weekly weigh-in and weekend confession (and this week, my weekday confessions too!).


No comments:

Friday Fitness: 9 Week Control Freak End of Phase 1

And that's a wrap on Phase 1! These workouts really do fly by fast, and even though this is my third time doing it, I still find the wor...