Friday, January 25, 2008

Findings Of Interest

You know all those sneaky things we do to trick the scale?

Like, we never weigh-in with our shoes on?

Or, we always go to the bathroom first?

Well, these are two that I commonly do, and since I have a shiny new bathroom scale and I am curious in nature, I decied to check it out.

So first, I weighed myself wearing light sweats, a tee shirt, and socks - no shoes.
Then, I put my sneakers on - they are not clunky snesakers, they are slim fitting sketchers.

The verdict? The weight was EXACTLY the same! Now, this is likey not going to happen with every pair of shoes. I have some winter boots that are pretty heavy, but for average shoes - I gotta say that it may not make any difference at all.

Then, on to the potty problem. I weighed myself before going to the bathroom. 125.2

Then, I did my business (just to clarify - I wasn't bursting at the seams, but I did feel like I had to go, and I did both types of business) and weighed again. 123.4!

I lost almost 2 pounds!!!! So the verdict seems to be - if you can do your business right before you weigh in, do it. It seems to really make a difference!

I gotta say - I felt like a bit of a myth-buster. Wait, am I going to be sued b/c I used a name under copyright? Okay - I'll call myself a commomly-held-beliefs-buster!

The next think I want to try is the difference between dressed and undressed. You know - the birthday suit. B/c how many of us have weighed in and said to ourselves, "Oh, you know, subtract two pounds for clothing!" Right? Am I right? I'm right. We've all said it. Especially when we are faced with a disappointing weigh in.

But, I feel that I've learned something about the scale and its tricks. And maybe you don't give a rat's ass about any of this, but I've satisfied a curiosity.

**** I feel the need to add a disclamier here - something like these were my results, done in my own home, and your results may be very different. but, if you have a scale, try it out. you might be surprised! ****

That's it. So far yesterday and today have been on track. I got tea on Sunday, so I'll have to make sure I work out all of the points for that, but other than that this week is going well. Yesterday I did Total Muscle Shaping from BSS 3 - that was a good one! I swear, hammer curls kill me. By the last rep I have pretty much reached muscle fatigue. And this morning I did Maximum Cardio Burn plus Abs from BSS 2. That's also a good one, but the balance moves are really super challenging for me. I think I need to stick to the beginner moves for now - I tried to do the advanced, but I could tell my form was way off - and that's not good. Not only do you end up not working the muscles you want to, but that's a good way to hurt myself. And since I have a bad back, that's not a good thing. Tomorrow is Jiggle Free Buns and Abs. And Sunday is High Tea. Hopefully I'll manage not to go way over points! Well, I'm hosting it so I can control the fat of the ingredients, but still - it's easy to overdo it if you're not careful.

Wish me luck! Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Friday Fitness: 9 Week Control Freak End of Phase 1

And that's a wrap on Phase 1! These workouts really do fly by fast, and even though this is my third time doing it, I still find the wor...